I still do not know the exact cause of why Vista SP1 RC1 kept failing to install on one of my machines, resulting in error code 0x80070059. However I must thank the Microsoftee Darrell Gorter who lead me to the solution, the simple solution I might add. The solution was simply to copy the file winusb.inf from c:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\winusb.inf_0362a280\winusb.inf to c:\Windows\inf. After copying the winusb.inf file there the Vista SP1 RC1 installation completed with no error codes at all!
Month: November 2007
One of the Vista installation bugs (error code 0x80070059) I told you about the other day has gotten a somewhat strange explanation. It seems to be a Swedish alphabet bug with sort order/collation of the “V” and “W” characters. I did some research on the Swedish alphabet and found out an interesting thing. In the Swedish alphabet the letter “W” does not like most other languages alphabets sort after “V”. Instead “V” and “W” are equal and all sortings should be made with the second character, meaning “Windows” will sort before “Voice” and not like in the English language where “Voice” would sort before “Windows”. One learn something every day!
Yesterday evening/night I tried to install the newly released Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Release Candidate on both my work laptop and my main computer at home. The really great parts are that Microsoft added a progress indicator, which after the second restart in an upgrade scenario now indicate at what stage the installation is. There is unfortunately bad news as well, the installation bug I told you about earlier remain. The bug is that every first installation of SP1 installation fail with the error code 0xC004F013, but the second time it always works to install. Another installation issue is that I cannot install SP1 on my main computer, where SP1 installation fail with error code 0x80070059. Let’s see what Microsoft have to say about this!
Windows Update in Windows Vista is wrapped in a regular window in the operating system itself rather than being opened as a web page in Internet Explorer 7. The basics are the same and it is the same underlying components in both Windows Vista and when you run Windows Update in a browser window on for instance Windows XP. Never mind, on a Vista client computer set to connect to a WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) server it will of course always check for updates there. In the Windows Update control panel on a client computer you can however choose to alternatively search for updates on Windows Update. If you deploy other software such as Office 2007 you might want to use Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update, to see if there are other updates available for Office and other Microsoft products, not only Windows.
The reason why I want to check Microsoft Update manually from time to time us is to regularly check which updates arrive to the various client computers that can be downloaded separately and then integrated into our installation media. Since opting into Microsoft Update require administrative rights on the computers I want to set Microsoft Update somehow automatically and apparently there are still no GPO settings for this, which I find rather strange. After doing some reserach I have found the solution to automatically set that Microsoft Update will be the default instead of Windows Update. The script to add is as follows:
Set ServiceManager = CreateObject(“Microsoft.Update.ServiceManager”)
ServiceManager.ClientApplicationID = “My App”
‘add the Microsoft Update Service, GUID
Set NewUpdateService = ServiceManager.AddService2(“7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d”,7,””)
Add this to a startup or login script to make sure Microsoft Update is always default.
Exactly one year ago Windows Vista Gold (RTM) was built and today we celebrate Windows Vista’s first real birthday. Looking back at when Vista was released (November 30th 2006) I can see great improvements in Vista itself, third party drivers and application compability. Still there are a few issues here and there but hopefully all issues will be resolved by Service Pack 1 and in coming drivers.
The most frustrating problem I have right now on my home computers arethat I still experience problems with the wireless network connection not being able to reconnect efter resuming from Sleep. The good news is that the bug has gotten closed with the status “fixed” so there is hope.
My without doubt most frustrating problem with my work laptop is the fact that whenever the domain is not reachable everything you do with the computer takes like 30 seconds, no matter if you start Windows Explorer, right click a file, delete a file etc. That problem lies in the kernel as documented by Mark Russinovich. There is also a problem when browsing web sites with IE7, but only if you type for instance www.theexperienceblog.com, then it takes forever to load the page and the computer just sits there as if nothing is happening. The workaround for this issue is to append http:// to the address because then the page loads instantly as expected. The latter problems are fixed in SP1, thank you for that Microsoft. Shame that it took a year to fix…